- The Syrian government continues its brutal crackdown on dissent, as the army has encircled Hama and prepares to enter the city.
- The Pakistani army has begun an offensive into the border tribal region of Kurram to strike at militants. In other Pakistan news, several administration officials have said that Pakistani journalist Saleem Shazad, who reported on the infiltration of militants into the army and intelligence services, was killed on orders from Pakistan's ISI(NYT).
- An Egyptian court has cleared three ministers during the Mubarak government of charges of graft and corruption.
- Hugo Chavez has returned to Venezuela after undergoing at least a couple surgeries to remove a cancerous tumor from his body. Details of his illness remain shrouded in secrecy.
- Drone research is all the rage as countries and companies rush to match U.S. capabilities. This is an interesting study in proliferation on the one hand, and a frightening opening stanza in the process of lowering the threshold for war.
- The Army has launched a mental toughness program for its soldiers, and finding some early success in implementing "Comprehensive Solider Fitness.
- In the wake of the Citizens United decision, we brace for the tidal wave of independent, unverified cash that's set to break on the 2012 election.