- Libyan rebels make steady progress in the west as they try to isolate Tripoli. There are reports that a Qaddafi security chief has flown with his family to Cairo(NYT), defecting from the regime.
- The Syrian government continues to brutalize its own citizens as Navy gunboats shell the port town of Latakia.
- Attacks in Iraq have killed 70, in one of the deadliest days the country has seen this year.
- There are few arrows left in the quivers of Chairman Bernanke and Secretary Geithner to stave off another market calamity, as the markets roil under the burden of euro debt and gridlock in Congress.
- Following Thursday's debate, Saturday's Iowa Straw poll (Which Rep. Backmann won), and Gov. Rick Perry's entering the race, while Gov. Tim Pawlenty got out of the race, the Republican primary begins to come into focus.