- Iran freed two hostages who had, after playing a part in the Iranian-American international confrontation, played a part in an internal Iranian confrontation.
- Turkey is set to explore off-shore gas deposits claimed by its creation the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. North Cyprus is recognized only by Turkey and, as it's a product of force, violates the norms of state creation in international law--thus, arguably, Turkey's recognition of the non-state violates international law. Your Editor notes that there are likely gas deposits off Somaliland's coast, a wholly unrecognized state whose creation does not violate the norms of state creation in international law.
- Tunisia--remember Tunisia? It had a revolution, too--is set to have elections next month and the head of the EU observer mission makes positive noises about its success.
- Somalia, where an AK-47 is a valuable reward for a good child.
- And President Obama took the podium at the General Assembly. As expected, he dumped cold water on the Palestinian bid for UN membership.